Thursday 14 August 2014

Big Bear

The lovely and talented Juliet of Tartan Kiwi put a call out for pattern testers. Once I saw the 'Big Bear' I KNEW I had to make him.


This is a 30 inch foundation paper pieced block and comes together really easily.  As ever, the hardest part was deciding which fabrics to use and then where to use them!


I decided to use my precious Art Gallery Pat Bravo Carnaby Street fabrics (I had 10 fat quarters) to make this gorgeous bear.  I wish now that I had used more contrasting fabrics for his back/hump against his light face.  I guess I will just have to make another!

My plans are to add a skinny border in navy (still undecided on navy) and then a nice wide border in Kona Silver to match the background that I used in the block.  Not sure what I will bind it in.

I hope to practice some free motion quilting on this guy too - wish me luck with that as I a seem unable to get the correct tension on my machine.

Thank you Tartan Kiwi for letting me test Big Bear.

Linking to WiP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced 

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

19 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh my goodness! I love him! I need this pattern! You've done such a beautiful job.

Kris said...

That is beyond adorable!!!!

Anita said...

Love him! Great fabric choices :)

Kirsten said...

Your bear looks amazing - love the fabrics!!

Rebecca Grace said...

Your bear is ADORABLE! Good luck with your FMQ.

pennydog said...

I'm going to make one of these for my OH :)

moira said...

brilliant!

gilly said...

Aw, he's just lovely! xx

Izzy said...

Wow that is a really cool bear!

Kay said...

Who would have thought such a colourful bear could be so wonderful. Love it. x

krislovesfabric said...

This is so wonderful!!

Charlotte said...

eeeep! he's so cute!

Indianna said...

Oh he is fabulous and the size is deceptive as I thought he was a lot smaller.

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

I love him!

jeifner said...

I love him!! So great so big

LethargicLass said...

I want to hug him, and squeeze him, and call him George!

Anonymous said...

I love this guy! And i love the fabrics!! Looks fantastic!

legato1958 said...

Your bear is just gorgeous! Love the fabrics you used!

Susie

Corrie said...

wow. He's striking.