Thursday 19 April 2012

Festival of HST's ~ Mini Quilt

Half Square Triangles ~ second post

My HST Mini Quilt

Yay for me!  I finally conquered my fear of doing something entirely with triangles. 

It all started a few years ago when I started my quilting journey.  For some reason I decided that I wouldn't/couldn't make anything with triangles as they looked too hard and complicated and was reserved for the more experienced and advanced quilters.  Then in 2010 I started a 'Mystery Quilt' and there were a few triangles to do and guess what?  I did them and they turned out pretty good!  So, a month or so ago I made the Ribbon Star block from Fresh Lemons for one of my blocks for the Sew Into Solids Flickr group and it turned out as well!  I couldn't believe I could sew triangles together!!  My confidence was growing and then I saw that Canoe Ridge Creations was hosting a 'Festival of Half Square Triangle's and I thought I might like to participate!   

I searched through my stash for the perfect fabric and found a gorgeous charm pack [this was my Moda plaid and stripe charm pack that I can't remember the name of - if anyone does, please let me know as I NEED to find more!] that I have been hoarding saving for the right project and I decided it was time to use it up!  I added some yummy Kaffe and a few Aneela Hoey Sherbert Pip squares and off I went to create 'something'!

So I stacked, drew lines, sewed, cut, pressed, trimmed and played with a possible layout - a few possible layouts actually!  I loved the quilt that Sew, Bike, Quilt! made with solids for the Festival of HST's and it looked like something I could do so I put my mind to it but ended up with my square arrangement instead (purely because the item entered had to have at least 75% HST's in it).
 Here are a few of the process pictures.  It's hard to make a decision on a
layout when there are so many possibilities, isn't it!!? 
I love how my HST 'thing' has turned out.  At one stage I was going to put big white borders around it but since it has been pinned up I have decided to leave it as it is and make a mini quilt out of it - and do hand stitching...  I'm going to try something new (as if trying half square triangles wasn't enough eh?!).

I love these fabrics.  Plaid....  'nuf said!
I also made a cute little pillow with red and white fabrics!
My 'strawberry-summer' half square triangle pillow.
Anyways, here are a couple more photos for you showing my Mystery Quilt and Ribbon Star block.

My mystery quilt started in 2010 and finally completed in 2011, just in time
to take to Canada for the Christmas holidays and give to my sister. 
My Sew Into Solids - Block 3 - Ribbon Star (pattern from Fresh Lemons Quilts).
I'll be linking up with Canoe Ridge Creations for the Festival of Half Square Triangles linky party and our creative spaces player list!  I have seen so many amazing quilts using triangles that I have added MORE projects to my 'to do one day' list!  Yikes - I'll need to buy more fabric then [any excuse]!  Happy Thursday :)



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

your triangles are brilliant, I have only once used them and swore never again! They look fab in solids too.

Deborah said...

I would say you have conquered triangles! Your work is fabulous!

Amy's Crafty Shenanigans said...

HST's are awesome in solids - I love the colours 'Swim Bike Quilt' used. Looks simple and clean. I had fun making my stuff but sometimes they co-operated and sometimes they didn't, so I won't be rushing into another HST project anytime soon, that's for sure!

doodlebugmom said...

Your triangles are wonderful. I am sticking to squares, strips, and rectangles myself :o)

FarahLin said...

wow, your triangle points matched perfectly! Your HST projects looks lovely! Well done! Looking forward to seeing more of your gorgeous work. =)

Patricia Lessell said...

Your points are just perfect. I love your quilt and your pillow too - just gorgeous.
Love
Patti xxx